Sunday, April 11, 2021

We Are Moving... In Lots of Directions....

 Hello Church,

The whirlwind begins!  If you missed the worship service, then the following may surprise you.  If you are part of Emmanuel, please read your email.  Or if you are on Facebook, take a look at Emmanuel's Facebook page here...

We are moving in June to Springboro as I have been appointed to Springboro First United Methodist Church starting the weekend of June 27th.  We are visiting Hope's college campus today in Newark as she will be moving to OSU about 6 weeks after moving to Springboro.  As a result, Kim and I become empty nesters in August.  So there is tons of work to get done:  packing 12 years worth of stuff; figuring out what to get rid of; cleaning my office; meeting with the pastor of my next church at Springboro First UMC; eventually meeting with the next pastor of Emmanuel..... oh yes...

.... and still help Emmanuel be the church...

What do you do when you are overwhelmed with the changes of life?

While the new appointment is forefront in my mind, my work is not done at Emmanuel.  We have lots to get done.  The season of invitation is well underway and I want Emmanuel to be as ready as possible to move forward as we exit the pandemic and the new pastor arrives.  Flower sales, Mother's Day, Graduate Recognition Day, Pentecost and Memorial Day weekend... and that is just May!

While my wife is a bit more than stressed, I try to take a deep breath and prioritize my tasks and my time.  What is the most important?  What is the most pressing?  I make my list and take one thing at a time.  For me, there are 2 important and pressing items:  making sure my family is taken care of and then keep empowering the church to be the church no matter where or when I am.

When you are overwhelmed with the changes of life, stay focused on your purpose in life.  First, figure out your purpose.  Then live into it with confidence and determination.  Finally, don't be afraid to let go of the less important and less pressing matters.

If you do so, fulfillment will quickly follow.  Satisfaction and joy are also typically present.  I hope you are living into what is most important and pressing.  You won't be disappointed.  I find that blessings abound most when we stay focused on what is really important.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment