Monday, April 5, 2021

What Childhood Memory Is Imprinted On You?

 Hello Church,

I spent the majority of my childhood in one of four places:  school, library, church and the baseball diamond.  As I have reflected over the years, I have become more and more aware of how each place imprinted certain perspectives and values onto me.  Pastors, librarians, coaches and teachers have all had a part of making me who I am.  I appreciate more and more the people who had positive influences on my life.

So when you learn how much I love the game of baseball, it isn't any sort of shallow reason.  It was one of my sanctuaries where I experienced being valued and appreciated.  It taught me how to critically think; carefully strategize; be a good team player; cope with adversity....oh.. and how to spit correctly (everyone spits on a baseball diamond).  Baseball taught me how to find those details that everyone else misses.  For example, a casual observer won't notice the centerfielder moving over a couple of steps or the umpire taking his mask off with the wrong hand or know when a batter is about to get hit with the pitch before he actually does.  Much of the world says soccer is the most beautiful game.  I say they are out of their ever-living minds.

What memories do you have that still have an imprint on you?  Who helped make you who you are?  Who had positive influences on you?

I could type at length over those 4 great places.  Given that I am going to go to the Reds game on Wednesday and that fans are now back in stadiums, I'd rather just meditate on baseball for now.  I told my wife I'll probably cry when I sit down in my seat.  She chuckled.  I wasn't joking.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe




No comments:

Post a Comment