Monday, April 26, 2021

The Sermon I Hear Every Week

 Hello Church,

First World problem:  the battery for my keyless remote for my car was running low!  That's it!  Monday is ruined which means the rest of the week is lost forever.  Time to start over.  Ugh!

When things don't work right I can get highly impatient.  It's a flaw deeply ingrained in me that is permanently attached to my DNA strands.  I have never been able to get rid of it.  I know when it is happening.  The best I can do is stop and concentrate on breathing.

After the fact, once my blood pressure comes down, I can and do reflect on the ridiculousness of my reaction.  By the end of the day I am still able to get done what I set out to do... usually.  And if not, the universe doesn't suddenly implode.  I wake up the next day and carry on.

My only solution is to constantly be reminded of appropriate perspective on life.  As much as watch the World News is depressing or reading up on current events is filled with life-altering events, it does remind me of how good I have it.  It also reminds me the unimportance of most of my problems.

And then there is Scripture.  A whole set of books focusing on the state of the soul and the vitality of the spirit and the presence of the Holy.  Every week I get to preach to myself and get reminded that I should be embarrassed when the insignificant matters of my day push me off kilter.

So be encouraged.  What you think is a bad day might not be bad at all.... just inconvenient.  And if it is a bad day, it isn't anything God hasn't dealt with before.  You'll be okay.  I know I am.  The sermon I hear every week says so.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment